Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall & Tasty Fire Trucks

Happy Fall Y'all!
Fall is one of my favorite units to  teach and I always start my unit off with painting fall leaves! I love to hang them from the ceiling in my classroom...it looks like leaves are falling all around us! I have tons of fall books but this year we read "The Leaves on the Trees" before painting.
Here are few pictures of us painting today! My unit time is at the end of the day so we'll have to cut them out in the morning. I'll post another picture of our fall room later! 



We also practiced putting fall sentences together today! They had so much fun being bossy and telling the kids holding the words to move around. This activity will be included in my Fall Unit (coming soon). I originally made it as a pocket chart activity but I don't have any free pocket charts to use so I used my kids instead! 



 "Tasty Fire Trucks"
We celebrated the end of our Community Unit last Friday by making "Tasty Fire Trucks". This is not one of my original ideas...I found it in a book. It was so long ago that I honestly couldn't even tell you which one it was. (If you know, please leave a comment so I can give the publishers credit.) 

Materials Needed for this project: each child needs 1 paper towel, 1 paper plate, 1 graham cracker, 1 popsicle stick with big scope of red icing, 3 pretzels, 2 Nilla Wafers, 1 Chex cereal, 1 gum drop.

Step 1: Spread the icing onto the graham cracker. If you get icing on your fingers you must LICK IT OFF. My kids always look at me like I'm crazy because they expect me to say wipe your fingers on your napkin.

Step 2: Add the wheels.
Step 3: Add Chex cereal window to truck.

Step 4: Build a ladder using pretzels.
Step 5: Add gum drop for serene.
Step 6: Let Mrs. Lanier take your picture

Step 7: EAT and ENJOY!
Class yelling "Tasty Fire Trucks"! Did I mention that I did this activity at the end of the day? Sugar them up and send them home is my motto! We had so much fun doing this activity!

Last Note: I used a font color other than purple! GO ME! I was also listening to the new Dave Matthews Band album while creating this post so if it makes absolutely no sense it's because I was distracted. 


5 comments:

  1. I love all your pics! Your class is having so much fun! Thanks for sharing! :)
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fire trucks look adorable AND tasty! Definitely going to have to try that! Thanks for sharing!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER SUPER cute! LUV having a look around your room. What a great day! Lucky duckie-LIONS to have you at the helm.

    Debbie Clement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I would load pictures of my classroom but it's always so messy...especially behind my desk!

      Delete
  4. I read this book every fall but never thought about painting. And boy do I love paint! Totally borrowing this idea!!! Thank you!

    Greg


    Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips