Monday, July 16, 2012

Must Have Picture Books (Linky)

I'm a book nerd and when I discovered this linky over at The Teacher Wife I was thrilled! After you read my top five books, click on the button and it will take you to her blog where there are a ton of other link-ups! Enjoy!

1. The Lion and the Mouse 
At the beginning of the year, I love using this picture book to teach my students about treating each other with kindness. Since we are the lions, this book goes great and really gets them excited about our class mascot!


2. David Goes to School
This book is the perfect story to read while creating class rules! David makes a lot of mistakes at school which starts a lot of great discussions with me and my kinders! It really helps them to understand the importance of school/classroom rules.
                                          David Goes To School


3. The Colors of Us
I use this book during my All About Me unit when we are discussing how we are alike and different. My kids love hearing the names of all the different shades of skin! After reading, I use my Crayola skin tone paints to figure out everyone's color! We make a chart and then head to our tables to paint self portraits! I hang their portraits in the hallway for the entire school year!  This is one of my favorite activities at the beginning of the year!
 

 4. The Spider's Gift
Every year in December, we always do our "Holidays Around the World" unit. I'm always trying to find new ideas and last year I came across this book! I had the Ukraine on my brain because my uncle's wife is from there and I was able to get some really great ideas from her. So, one of our trips during our unit was to the Ukraine! We made cute spiders for our craft! 
The Spider's Gift: A Ukrainian Christmas Story


5. Charlie the Caterpillar
 My kinders absolutely love this book! I read it every spring while we are discussing life cycles!
 After a few pages, they catch on and start reading with me! It's a great picture book to teach about the butterfly life cycle and being a good friend.

I love children's books and could go on forever with this list! However, I'm a rule follower and must stop! Make sure you click the button below to visit all the other great book lists at The Teacher Wife and link up your own book post!!!
The Teacher Wife 
 

24 comments:

  1. I love those books! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great books. I had never heard of The Color of Us and Charlie the Caterpillar. They sound like great books and I will be adding them to my library. :) And I am your newest follower!

    http://themadnessthatiskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! I love the title of your blog!!

      Delete
  3. I love Mr. Pinkney's version of The Lion and The Mouse. Those illustrations are fabulous. I've read Charlie the Caterpillar and I am amazed that Dom DeLois helped write it. I'm usually not a fan of celebrity authors, but this one is very cute. I love your list. BTW: I'm follower #50!
    http://kindergartenlovesme.blogspot.com
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay #50!!!!! Thank you for following my blog!

      Delete
  4. I'm visiting through the Linky Party. Don't you just love picture books?!!? Great choices! Come by when you get a chance. I'm your newest follower.

    Waving from The Teacher's Chatterbox,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole, I'm glad you found a book from my list. Was that ever hard to narrow down! I've put The Spider's List onto my must check out book list and am also now following your wonderful blog.

    Catherine
    Kinder Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the book list was hard to narrow down! I could probably give you my top 100 list a lot easier than top 5! LOL

      Delete
  6. I am in the process of doing a book review on Charlie the Caterpillar...I love that book! I am now your 57th follower :)
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawna,
      I'm so impressed with your blog! I will be there a lot reading your reviews! Thank you for following me!

      Your newest follower,
      Nicole

      Delete
  7. Charlie the caterpillar looks so cute! I just found your blog :)

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recently found that Lion book at a scholastic book sale! The illusrtations are AMAZING! Love that it as so few words! I am now one of your newest followers!
    Kinderaffe2ndgraders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!!! On my way to visit your blog NOW!

      Delete
  9. I will have to add "The Lion and the Mouse" to my classroom library! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower if you have a chance stop by my blog and follow!

    Can't wait to share!
    Brigid
    Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm your newest follower!! I was hoping to be #100 but #97 is pretty great too!

      Delete
  10. I love Charlie the Caterpillar! Thanks for stopping by my page also! New follower!
    Meridith @Frogs and First Graders :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Charlie!! I had forgotten about that one. It is precious! I'm a new follower!

    ✪Crystal✪
    Strive to Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog title! Thanks for stopping by...I'm your newest follower!

      Delete
  12. David Goes to School is such a great book! I definitely need to use it again with my kiddos.

    Make sure to stop by and enter my giveaway
    -Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enter and I hope I WIN!!! LOL I don't have any luck but it's still fun entering and following everyone! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Those books are all new to me except for David. Thanks for the introduction.

    I think that Kindergarten found me too - I was trained to teach high school English and then taught intermediate grades for 5 years before finding where I really belonged.

    I am your newest follower.

    sandi
    rubber boots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi, thanks for stopping by! I think this book link up is a great idea! My book wishlist has tripled since I started blog stalking everyone! I'm impressed that hardly anyone has the same books on their list! I'm your newest follower!!!

      Delete
  14. I am your newest follower! Thanks for sharing these books!
    Drop by anytime :)

    Tracy

    Creekside Teacher Tales

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips